Spring Into Action: Your Definitive Spring Cleaning Checklist
The ancient Chinese philosophical system, Feng Shui, believes clutter is a stagnant energy that drains those who live in the midst of it. If you look for the science in all things and think 3,000-year-old theories for harmonizing the environment are bogus, consider this: Research has conclusively shown that surrounding yourself with a disorganized mess has a measurable negative impact on your focus and functioning.
Sure, reaching into the dusty recesses of your garage or attic to prep for a yard sale may seem like a lot of trouble, but it serves a very important purpose. It cleans out the many messes and subconscious burdens that live rent-free in your mind and keep you from applying yourself completely to a productive, happy and successful life. Simply put, a clean home is a happy mind.
With the warm weather and blue skies of spring fast approaching, there’s no better time of year to get rid of the old and make way for the new.
Here are a few spring cleaning tips to help you de-clutter your home and cleanse your mind:
- Harness the power of music! Upbeat songs energize you. Calming music relaxes you. Whatever your choice, music can take your spring-cleaning ritual from drab to fab.
- You don't have to rely on caustic chemicals. Read about essential oils that are effective cleaning agents and leave your home smelling like heaven.
- Pick up something that occupies space in your home and ask yourself, "Does this make me happy?" If it doesn't spark joy, do you really need it in your life?
- Delve into your wardrobe and purge. Reach for something you can't remember the last time you wore. As a general rule, if you haven't worn it in over a year, chances are you're never going to. But also ask yourself, do you feel good in this outfit, do you feel amazing? If your immediate answer isn’t yes – let it go.
- If spring cleaning overwhelms you, start small. Dividing a big task into small, manageable projects (like cleaning out a shelf in your living room) is a proven strategy. To get you started, here's a list of 10 cleaning tasks you can tackle in less than 5 minutes.
- Don't forget to include your desk in your spring cleaning checklist. An organized desk champions an organized mind. You'll see your productivity skyrocket once you get rid of dried up pens, old coffee cups, and scraps of paper.
- Stay motivated by focusing on the big picture. Letting go can be incredibly liberating. Spring cleaning will leave you feeling proud, fulfilled and rejuvenated.
- Treat yourself to something nice as a thank you once you're done. Perhaps a pretty candle or a gorgeous bunch of flowers to brighten up your newly cleaned home, or a relaxing spa day to indulge yourself.
If you're still not convinced, here are a few more reasons you should take time to de-clutter your home this spring:
- Springtime is not too late to make good on that New Year's resolution.
- You'll find yourself thinking clearer, feeling happier, and walking with a spring in your step.
- Stubborn stains, tenacious grime, and invisible dust will be things of the past.
- Your home will be bright, airy and inviting — just in time for a spring barbecue!
- When someone comes to visit, you can revel in the satisfaction of a clean, comfortable home.
- The rule book says: for every ten pieces of clothing you donate, you're allowed to buy something new… or maybe that’s just from our rulebook ;)
- Spring cleaning is a great workout. Think toned arms and flatter abs. Yes, please!
- What was once lost will be found. Missing earrings, reading glasses, keys, and knick knacks — spring cleaning can unearth them all! Whether you actually need them is another question..
So, spring into action, say goodbye to clutter! And cleanse your mind, body, and spirit in the process. Do you have any tips from your own Spring Cleaning checklist to share?