There is a simple regimen that you can add to your wellness arsenal for outstanding results when it comes to tightening skin, reducing cellulite, exercising your lymphatic system, enhancing good digestion and encouraging gentle detoxification. This regimen costs next to nothing, takes almost no time and has been delivering visible results for centuries. So what is this miracle technique that you have been missing out on?
If you have previously heard of dry brushing and have already integrated this brilliant self-care technique into your life on a consistent basis – you know the magic that I am talking about.
However, if you have not yet experienced the joy of dry brushing, get ready to discover a new healthy addiction.
Benefits of Dry Brushing
Here is why it works: Your lymphatic system depends upon you for a little help to get its job done well.
While your circulatory system does indeed have the luxury of the heart doing the bulk of its work through the simple act of pumping blood through your veins, your entire circulatory system (especially your lymphatic system) operates at its top potential when it is given a little TLC.
Things like jumping, lymphatic massage and dry brushing externally stimulate your lymph system to mobilize and eliminate excess fluids and waste.
Both the friction and upward strokes of dry brushing greatly invigorate your lymphatic system, making it an incredibly effective tool for detoxification and energy renewal.
top 4 guidelines for a great dry brushing experience:
1. Pick a brush that is right for you
- If you have decent flexibility, you can get a brush with a hand strap for easy brushing. If you lack flexibility, definitely opt for a brush with a 6-inch or longer handle for easy access to hard to reach places.
- Always look for natural (not synthetic) brush materials. Sisal is a nice fiber, cultivated from the agave plant that creates a quality brush.
- Bristles should be firm and stiff, but if you have sensitive skin that scratches easily, start out with a softer brush. Your skin will become less sensitive after brushing for some time.
2. Make your technique meet your mood
Slow and rhythmic strokes or short and quick strokes can both be effective strategies.
I recommend that you use short and quick strokes when you are looking to stir up energies and get invigorated. On the other hand, if you are trying to settle energies and unwind, slow and rhythmic strokes will help to calm your nervous system. During times of enhanced detoxification, like during a cleanse, I recommend using a combo of both techniques.
Follow the step-by-step below first using quick, brisk strokes to invigorate your lymphatic system and mobilizing excess fluids trapped in the cell walls of your skin, then follow with the more slow and rhythmic approach to further encourage elimination of toxins and restore balance to your body.
3. Direct your strokes towards your heart
Place a towel on the ground or stand in your bathtub in order to catch any skin that sloughs off. Applying consistent but light pressure.
- Starting at your feet, begin dry brushing skin by moving your brush in an upward motion towards your heart.
- After brushing your calves, move on to your thighs, again using upward strokes. If using long strokes, cover each area at least three times.
- Next is your stomach area. This is where lots of potential digestion enhancing goodness happens from proper dry brushing. Brush in a circular counter-clockwise motion to activate your intestines to eliminate waste.
- Brush your back, chest and arms as well, remembering to always direct the strokes towards your heart.
4. Create a post-brushing ritual for added benefits
As often as possible, rinse in the shower immediately after dry brushing and then finish your routine with a great essential body oil.
I moisturize with pure sesame oil when I am looking to enhance a detoxification period or coconut oil when my skin is feeling extra parched from too much sun or cold weather.
juice cleansing? WANT MORE tips on how you can enhance your detox program?
Download our free Juice Cleanse Companion eGuides designed to navigate you through your next juice cleanse for maximum results – learn how to overcome common challenges with at home remedies and ways to amplify your next juice cleanse experience!
Photo by: FASHIONLUSH